Divorce Mediation

Family Law Modification

Are you already scheduled for a court hearing, but need to change the date? Have your financial circumstances, or the circumstances of your child’s parent, changed significantly? Are there other issues that have come up where the best interests of the child may need to be looked at again? If so, you can call Worcester Attorney Michelle M. Murray to find out your options today.

Modifying Child Support

If there has been a material and substantial change in circumstances, the Family Law Court in Massachusetts may be willing to agree to a modification. The court will still use the Child Support Guidelines, but there are several instances where a change might be reasonable. For instance, one parent might be making more or less money now, or health care or childcare expenses might have gone up or down.

Changes in health insurance, such as who pays, may change the amount owed by the other parent. Actual medical expenses can change substantially. The child’s living arrangements, and how much time he or she spends with each parent, are important factors also. Massachusetts lawyer Michelle M. Murray has experience with a wide variety of modification cases.

Modifying Child Custody

You may be eligible for a change in child custody or visitation and parenting time if there is a significant change in circumstances since the last court order.

The kinds of changes that the court considers includes many factors, including which parent has been the primary caregiver in the past, your current work schedule, the child’s age and activity schedule, the child’s preferences and a whole myriad of other factors. Some other factors may include changes such as how well the child is doing at school, if one of the parents is now abusing drugs, and the child’s relationships with other family members at both households. Modifications involve many factors. Let the Law Office of Michelle M. Murray help you figure out if it’s time to change your old court orders. Call or email for a consultation so we can help you understand whether you qualify for a modification.

What do I need to do to get started?

Sometimes a modification can be done very easily, if both parties agree. If you need help in the Spencer and Worcester area, call or email modification lawyer Michelle M. Murray today.